Week 4: The 16 Meats

9.30.2008

I discovered yesterday, Monday, that I will not be moving to my site on Monday as planned, but will be moving there Thursday, which is not a problem. So, I will update you all on what my placement is like next week.

On Sunday, we went to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and then to one of the greatest meat places to which I have ever been thus far in my life journey. It is called Pampa Churrascaria and is in Nairobi. It was our last meal together as a group before we split up to our different sites. It is the nicest restaurant I will encounter while in Africa, I presume because I'll be paying for the rest of my meals.

The Meat Story
They brought out 16 different kinds of meat to us, which took a while, but I decided to wait until they were all upon my plate before I started eating. Therefore, the 7 women had finished eating and the 2 other males were slowing down when I began, but it was marvelous once all 16 had arrived on my plate.

To know which meat was which I decided to make a chart.

In order to share my experience with you all I decided to take a picture of all the meat, label each meat with a number, and write down what they all are below.

1. Chicken Thigh
2. Chicken Leg
3. Beef Drum Garlic
4. Turkey
5. Crocodile
6. Pork Sausage
7. Pork Rib
8. Top Beef Sirloin
9. Nile Perch
10. Lamb
11. Beef Sausage
12. Goat
13. Camel
14. Beef Hump
15. Beef Ribs
16. Bottom Sirloin

My top three were:
1. Chicken Leg
2. Pork Rib
3. Top Beef Sirloin
The Aftermath:

Meat Coma:

It was somewhat unusual eating so much food in Kenya where the gap between the middle class and the lower class is greater than in the States. However, I have started to question what the difference is between having a high percentage of impoverished people in the same city as you as compared to half way around the world. In the same city, you encounter them more and therefore, think about them more, but whether people are impoverished in the same city that you are in or half way around the world doesn’t matter. What matters is people are impoverished and I believe that should influence the way that everybody lives, everywhere. The notion that if my neighbor is not alright, then I am not alright. This coming from the man who just ate 16 different kinds of meat in one sitting…my 2 cents from a blog post which was supposed to be entirely about meat…it happens…

I hope all is well with everyone! Have a great week!
Sincerely,
RTQ

Posted by RTQ at 2:54 PM  
Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Amazing blog for two reasons:
1) There were so many opportunities for a "That's what she said" joke, it blew my mind.
2) You ate both crocodile and camel in one sitting

Josh R. said...
Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 8:59:00 PM GMT+3  

Just so you know, I am pretty sure Bill Greenway is crying somewhere because of your meat feast. As for me, well, I am glad you made sure there is one less crocodile. You know how I feel about crocodiles.

bcdees47 said...
Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 2:14:00 AM GMT+3  

Ohhh...did you HAVE to eat the camel? LRW

Anonymous said...
Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 3:33:00 AM GMT+3  

I'm glad you called last night! I'm pretty sure I was trying to get Josh to tell you something, but I don't remember what it was. I was a little too groggy to observe anything but the unnecessarily high pitch of my own voice. It was good to hear from you though!

Laura R said...
Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 9:44:00 PM GMT+3  

It is nice to hear about your varied diet.

I remember in your very early days that your favorite "meat" was macaroni and cheese.

Dad

The Tom said...
Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 6:27:00 AM GMT+3  

Robert. I loved this post. You are great.

Jason said...
Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 4:48:00 PM GMT+3  

I'm also curious about the camel. How was that? And, how does Nile perch compare to Oklahoma perch? Are you the best person to ask this question? If it was my brother when he was little, it all would have been "good chicken." Hehe.

Love you and miss you. Glad to hear from you, but now it should be about time for a new blog soon.

Anonymous said...
Friday, October 3, 2008 at 10:50:00 AM GMT+3  

Robert,
I've enjoyed the posts. What an awesome experience. We'll be praying for you and all the sisters and brothers in Christ this weekend on World Communion Sunday. It's my first time presiding at the Table, but I'm not too scared about it. Why? The scary thing is that when I was received into membership at Grace Presbytery last month, the first thing they gave me was my membership card which says it expires on 12/31/08. How's That!!! Blessings, Charlie P.

Unknown said...
Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 5:48:00 AM GMT+3  

Robert, have really enjoyed your posts so far, and hope all goes well at your new site. I wrote about my own experience in Kenya at: www.evansinafrica.blogspot.com, in case you need some ideas or want to post a reply - but you look like you're doing just fine and have plenty to blog about. What a wonderful country and beautiful people - enjoy the beautiful challenge!

Unknown said...
Tuesday, October 7, 2008 at 7:35:00 PM GMT+3  

Hi, Again I loved your stories. What wonderful experiences you are having. Rui and I decided that next time you get to bring the treats to our afternoon snack break.

Have a happy and blessed birthday. We miss your smile and hugs.

With love, Rui and Marti

Anonymous said...
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 at 10:03:00 PM GMT+3  

Josh, inappropriate and very funny. One advantage of being a doctor I guess. Pastor, not so much on the inappropriate part. Doctor, why not, s/he's a doctor.

Brian, yes, the thought crossed my mind to ask the waiter if he knew how the animals were raised and then killed, but my Swahili isn't that amazing yet.

LRW, Yes, yes I did. It was there and I was hungry. Plus, it was quite tasty.

Laura, thanks and sorry if I woke you up, but it's going to be happening until one of us is dead and even if I am dead I will still attempt to call 12:01 Oct. 1st every year.

Dad, Mac and Cheese would have gone great with the meat. Good call. Send some...

Jason, I love you. How's OK?

Lacy, the camel was quite good. However, not as good as some of the other meats. I don't think I've had Oklahoma perch, send some...and I'll try it. I miss you and am glad to hear from you.

Charlie, I laughed out loud and got a fun look for it. Well, it was a good run. We can photocopy my card once I get one...How's that.

Evans, thanks.

Rui and Marti, I get a kick out of thinking of you 2 reading my blog. I wish I could walk into the office and joke with you all. Who knows, I might do it just to surprise you all and get a good laugh. :)

RTQ said...
Thursday, October 9, 2008 at 2:15:00 AM GMT+3  

I can not believe you ate that much meat! It reminds me of the CESCM meeting (I guess it was NYC? But it seems longer ago) where everyone got drinks, except you ate the largest steak I have ever seen (and took a picture with it of course).

John and Wendy said...
Friday, November 21, 2008 at 4:11:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment