Week 0: September Monthly Update

9.01.2008

Hello friends! Welcome to my blog about my upcoming year in Kenya as a Young Adult Volunteer (YAV). I am getting on a plane today heading for Kenya! If you are not sure what I'm talking about or will be doing for the next year I will answer some of the questions I have most often received in the past 6 months.

  • What are you doing? I will be serving in the Young Adult Volunteer (YAV) program through the Presbyterian Church (USA). This program sends young adults (19-30) to serve nationally and internationally for a year. There are five international sites: Guatemala, Peru, Northern Ireland, India, and Kenya. I am going to Kenya.
  • Am I going alone? No, there are 8 of us heading over to Kenya total and there is a site coordinator who lives in Kenya permanently. So, we already have connections and will be met at the airport.
  • Why now? The main reason is I will still have my final year of seminary to reflect theologically and spiritually on my experience in Kenya rather than attempting to deal with that at my first ordained position. Graduating from seminary and then doing this didn't make much sense. Furthermore, the timing just worked out best.
  • What will I be doing? I'll be building relationships with people. People from another culture who have different understandings of time, relationships, food, and pretty much everything. This excites me and reminds me that I am going to be challenged constantly during the next year. My job placement is working with a non-profit organization called the Association of Evangelicals in Africa and Madagascar (AEAM).
  • Where's Kenya?

Right there! (it's in red)

If you have any more questions please let me know. You can leave a comment by clicking on the "comment" button at the bottom of this blog entry. My goal is to update this blog once a week (probably Monday night for me (8 hours ahead)), but we'll have to see how everything works once I get over there.

In other news:
I have been in Louisville, Kentucky for the past week participating in YAV orientation with 29 other Presbyterian young folk. It has been great to get to know everyone and I am going to miss the 24 people not going to Kenya a lot this next year, but I am very excited about having met them and formed good relationships. It has been weird saying good bye today and watching each country roll off in the vans. However, it will be incredibly uplifting to know that there are others all over the world going through the same culture shock and life changing experience that we'll be going through in Kenya.

Also, I finished my ordination exams in a weekend. I did my exegesis, a paper about the Greek text of Matthew 20:1-17, in 2 days and felt pretty good about it. I was supposed to have until Thursday, but turned it in on Monday. That makes life a bit stressful, but it is behind me now.

Well, I am off to be reminded of why being 6 foot 5 is not the best attribute to have for two 8 hour plane flights...Have a great day!

RTQ

Posted by RTQ at 11:28 PM  
Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Robert,
Your blog always makes me laugh! Good luck to you on your adventure. Your Oklahoma peeps will be thinking of you a lot in this next year and we can't wait to hear your stories!
Love, AJ, CJ, CJ, and RBC

Anonymous said...
Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 7:09:00 PM GMT+3  

Robert,

You'll be in our prayers for safe journey. The people of Kenya will be in our prayers once you've arrived! Have a wonderful, Spirit-filled year. You will learn so much by simply being present with so many loving disciples. Peace.

Greg & Bonnie C

Anonymous said...
Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 8:12:00 PM GMT+3  

Sweet fanny pack.

Laura R said...
Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 9:29:00 PM GMT+3  

So excited. I can't wait to hear more!

Jason said...
Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 12:50:00 AM GMT+3  

Yeah, sweet fanny pack.

Josh R. said...
Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 2:00:00 AM GMT+3  

Robert,

We are very proud of you. It will be a great experience for you and the Kenyans.

All our love goes with you.

Dad, Mom, Patrick, and George

The Tom said...
Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 8:09:00 AM GMT+3  

Joseph says you need a bigger airplane!
We love you!!
The Williams' (all four of 'em!)

Anonymous said...
Wednesday, September 3, 2008 at 5:49:00 PM GMT+3  

I have arrived safely in Kenya. Thanks for all of your prayers and thoughts.

-Cynthia, thanks for the love from Oklahoma. I can feel it! Tell the family I say hello from Kenya!

-Greg and Bonnie, please continue to pray for the Kenyans throughout the year because I am here and that means they need it. Don't worry, I'll be back soon to park in your lawn.

Laura, thanks for noticing! ;)

Jason, Katie Rains is awesome and in Peru. I miss you.

Josh, way to piggy back off of your wife.

Dad, Mom, Patrick, and George (the frog) should come visit.

Williams, I would appreciate if Joseph would right a letter to American Airlines for me. He will have more pull than me. Love you all.

Ryan, done and done. It was great to see you for the past week.
RTQ

RTQ said...
Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 4:41:00 PM GMT+3  

Hi Robert, I'll enjoy keeping up with your life. Now you'll be able to introduce Rui and me to lots of new fruits - and other foods, I'm sure.

Love ya, Marti

Anonymous said...
Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 7:19:00 PM GMT+3  

Good luck and God bless on your safari ... you freakishly tall Muzungoo. Keep us all up to date from time to time on your blog so we know you're still coming back eventually!
-the true Brian Christopher (Coulter)

brian said...
Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 7:48:00 PM GMT+3  

Hey Robert. Glad to hear you made it there safe and sound. You are such an inspiration to me and many others. Grace, Peace and Love.

Lindsey Hamrick

lhamrick said...
Friday, September 5, 2008 at 5:40:00 AM GMT+3  

Marti and Rui!! - It's great to hear from you! I've had so many different types of fruit here. You would love it. They have Israel Bananas which are amazing and everything is organic and you don't have to pay more! Come visit. Rui can drive.

Brian - I realize now the entertainment that could have ensued if we were here at the same time. Although, I think entertainment would have turned into trouble rather quickly...I miss you.

Lindsey - Thank you for your kind words co-counselor! I miss you and hope we can meet again over a big pile of meat!

RTQ said...
Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 11:22:00 PM GMT+3  

Post a Comment