Tired, But Ready To Go...

7.25.2008

It's Thursday night and I have 3 weeks and a day left of my summer internship in Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) (hospital chaplaincy).  It's amazing to think of where I started out at the beginning of the summer compared to now.  Arrive at a brand new hospital and your supervisor tells you that you have 32 rooms to cover and let's you at it.  My comfort level, pastoral presence, and understanding of how to interact with a patient have all changed and grown extremely since that first week.  However, I am draining more quickly each week.  For the first few weeks, I wouldn't get tired until Friday afternoon.  Then it was Friday.  Now it is Thursday at some point.  I don't know what causes it, but I assume that the euphoric feeling and surprise of chaplaincy are wearing off and it is becoming more of a regular job.  I am not saying that I don't feel called to go to the hospital everyday because I do, but my energy level isn't lasting as long.  I think that I am still working on how to pace myself in a hospital chaplaincy setting.  I don't think that I will find a good balance during my internship this summer, but that is something I would develop if I was doing this full time.  My feeling at first and still is that I should see as many patients as possible in a day, but then I am not able to see as many by the end of the week.  It reminds me of how the same thing would happen at Dwight during the summer time.  By the end of the summer everybody was wiped out and tired for the last week or two because they had given everything they had at the beginning of the summer.  We had to learn how to pace ourselves.

So now that I am back to the pacing myself drawing board, I need energy...  Sleep might help that category.  I am excited about going to the hospital tomorrow because we're playing Space Invaders.  Word.

RTQ

Posted by RTQ at 5:49 AM  
Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment