Week 49: Vienna: A History Lesson and Wiener Schnitzel

8.14.2009

I arrived at my couchsurfing host Guenter's home after mid-night.  He welcomed me with a smile and food.  He got the bo-jazz with which to make a sandwich and I started constructing.  He asked if I wanted tomatoes (one of my least favorite vegetables) to which I said, "No" and he proceeded to watch me ungracefully try to spread some unusual form of cheese on my bread.  We both laughed and he decided I needed to experience some Austrian tomatoes.  So, we sat and I ate my sandwich and tomatoes (which were really good) as we talked about our different cultures and religion.

Guenter is an open air museum curator and has a vast knowledge of history.  The next morning he took me around Vienna and explained all of the major sites to me.  We went by where Beethoven lived, where Mozart lived (Wolfgang is a great first name), and several beautiful churches and government buildings which without him would have not made much sense.  I was fascinated with the rich history of Vienna and what a central city it has been in the world for so many more years than the States has existed.

Me with frankfurt in Austria:
IMG_4430

St. Steven's Cathedral:
IMG_4431

Dinner in front of Sigmund Freud's apartment:
IMG_4440

Wiener Schnitzel:
IMG_4441

Austrian dessert and Me:
IMG_4444

For dinner, Guenter took me to a place with traditional Austrian food that was located across the street from Sigmund Freud's apartment where he lived most of his life.  I had Wiener Schnitzel, which is a cutlet of veal that is pounded flat, coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, and fried in clarified butter.  Dinner was very nice as I sat and pondered how bizarre it was to be sitting across the street from where Sigmund Freud lived.

Austrian host, Guenter, and Me:
IMG_4445

Posted by RTQ at 6:07 PM  
Bookmark and Share
blog comments powered by Disqus