Remembering Ron Heck

1.08.2009

My Sunday school teacher while I was in elementary school, fishing buddy, and friend, Ron Heck, died this past Thursday.  As I walked the mile between matatu stops journeying back from Westlands to Karen I reflected on Ron and 3 distinct memories came to mind:

  1.  My family started attending the First Presbyterian Church of Broken Arrow when I was in the third grade and Ron and his wife, Mary Ann, were my Sunday School teachers from then until I finished fifth grade.  I distinctly remember the first time I heard Ron read scripture to us and the first time I heard many Bible stories was from Ron's voice.  I don't think I realized what a big impact Sunday School teachers for elementary age kids can have on someones life until I reflected upon this during the week.
  2. When my best friend Brad and I were Confirmed in the 8th grade, Ron took us both aside, sat us down, and gave us both a self help book that was a major part of his business success he told us.  He also gave us both a pack of highlighters.  Ron wanted to pass on his success to us, 2 8th grade teenagers.  He didn’t want to keep it to himself.  I love that he took interest in two 8th graders and treated us with respect and like adults.  I believe this speaks volumes about his character.
  3. When I was in high school, Ron and our friend Thompson would take me fishing.  They both taught me how to fish and I cherish the memories of the 3 of us sitting out in the middle of the lake in silence for hours and then talking for hours because we hadn't caught anything.
I have always envisioned Ron and Mary Ann at my Ordination Service because they were my first Sunday School teachers and they are good friends.  They are at the top of my list of people I want to be there.  Now Ron won't be there in the way that I had envisioned, but he will be there.  May you rest in peace Ron.

Posted by RTQ at 1:03 AM  
Bookmark and Share
blog comments powered by Disqus