Week 44: Lodwar Pictures, Fourth of July, and the Ride Home

7.12.2009

The Long Bumpy Beautiful Road to Lodwar:
IMG_3636

AEE's Male Accommodations (I read two books sitting on that amazing front porch):
IMG_3777

Trash Pick-Up Our First Saturday (Read Week 43):
IMG_3682

Trash Burning (read Week 43):
IMG_3677


Lunch Everyday - Beans, Potatoes, and Cabbage - Napenda cabbage! (I like cabbage!)
IMG_3731

I went to ten schools in Lodwar to teach Discipline, Time Management, and talk about Jesus.  Only one of the schools had an indoor room big enough to hold all of the students.  At the other schools, all of the students would gather together in one big group outside and then the head teacher would assign each class a tree to go sit under and that is where we had our classes.  I really enjoyed teaching in the schools (as I always do) and found the Lodwar students were more attentive than my students in Nairobi (probably because it was one class and they are in the middle of nowhere and not used to visitors).

Leading Music at Lodwar Primary School:
IMG_3700

Leading a Discussion about being Disciplined in Time Management:
IMG_3750

Talking about Discipline and Time Management with John translating for me:
IMG_3706

Traditional Turkana Female Dress - the rural women all wore beautiful beads that covered their entire necks:
IMG_3779

My 4th of July was very nice and relaxing.  I finished reading The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck which I thoroughly enjoyed after finishing The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho the day before which I also really enjoyed and found as a very motivational read.  In the afternoon, I went to a large open air rally in Lodwar.  Afterwards, I headed back to where Clara the Oklahoman had been staying for dinner.  It was beautiful out as the sky was pitch dark and the company was extremely pleasant.  After eating, Clara and I blessed our host with an interesting rendition of the Star Spangled Banner with my firework sound effects rounding off our beautiful voices.  There isn't any power where we were and people live very close together so they got to hear our national anthem.  Then our host sang us the Kenyan national anthem and some Jesus songs in Turkana.  It was a very pleasant evening.

4th of July with Clara's host family in Lodwar:
IMG_3775

What it's like for me when I sit down anywhere public in Lodwar:
IMG_3693

Clara and me in front of Mzungu Super Traders:
IMG_3769


Clara and me in front of Mzungu Super Traders: (note my Maasai and Turkana little stool that I bought, all the men carry one and a staff)
IMG_3767

William Muchiri (my AEE boss) and me:
IMG_3780

Our second Sunday eventually came and it was time for us to leave.  We had a final open air meeting scheduled Sunday afternoon, but there were some demonstrations in town and it was canceled.  So, at 7:30 PM our two buses left for Nairobi, one bus was a church bus and the other was a big charter bus.  Needless to say, the charter bus charged through the night and made it to Nairobi at 11 AM the next morning.  However, the good ole church bus I was on was a lot slower in all possible ways and didn't arrive back to Nairobi until around 5 PM.  So, I was a bit tuckered out, but there was no time to rest because I was supposed to be on another bus by 6:45 AM the next morning to Uganda.  I repacked at AEE, took a cab two hours later to Westlands, fell asleep, woke up and hopped on another bus for a 12 hour ride.  Yeehaw!

Crossing the Equator in the bus:
IMG_3784

Posted by RTQ at 5:04 PM  
Bookmark and Share
blog comments powered by Disqus