Week 39: Dwight Mission

6.19.2009

As I drove around the last corner, I saw the infamous chain-linked fence that has been a part of my life for eleven years now.  That was our signal when I was a camper that we had finally made it to Dwight Mission.  I could write a few hundred pages about Dwight, but some things can't be said in words (but since this is a blog, I'll use words).  My life includes four summers as a camper, three summers as a counselor, one summer as assistant program director, and a visit every summer since 1998 in some form or fashion.  Placed in the flint hills of eastern Oklahoma, it is one of the most beautiful places in my life.

My excuse to go to Dwight was to teach the new and old staff members a class about Presbyterianism.  I just wanted to be at Dwight... with the people, with the buildings, and with the memories.  I don't think I realized I was actually back at Dwight until I walked into the boy's dormitory, Washburn Hall, God bless it.

So... I took a picture when the realization occurred...
IMG_3513

This is where I slept when I was an eighth grader (not in the hall, in the rooms), where I guided the sleepwalking camper back to his bunk, and my favorite of all, where Brian Coulter had to clean up the bathroom after one of my campers clogged up the toilet more outrageously beautiful than I have ever seen to date.  The camper believed that by repeatedly flushing the toilet everything would go down, wrong (Thanks Brian).  I know the dorm well because I know where all of the light switches are without looking or thinking about it.  After realizing where I was, I made my way around camp reminiscing of my memories in different locations.

Dwight has been the most life forming place for me.  It was my youth group when I was in high school, where I gained a lot of confidence in myself and leadership skills while on staff, where I learned how to play guitar, and my happy place when I'm elsewhere now.  Dwight is part of my being.

I think I've been avoiding blogging about Dwight because I can't appropriately blog it in words... yeah, well here's the link to my blog with John William's song about Dwight and below are some pictures of Dwight and Dwight related things in the nearest town, Sallisaw:

The Creek:
IMG_3525

Wild Horse BBQ:
Some of the best BBQ ever!  In Kenya, I dreamed of this moment!  If you're ever in Sallisaw then please stop by.
IMG_3516

Quiring and East Brothers: 
I'm very proud that my little brother, Patrick, is working his second summer on staff at Dwight this year.
IMG_3514

Me, Josh, Tara, and E-Sharp
IMG_3538

Life Goal #76:
IMG_3518

Posted by RTQ at 8:28 PM  
Bookmark and Share
blog comments powered by Disqus