Week 36: Returning to the States

5.15.2009

           So, I'm a big fan of transparency and all that bo-jazz.  Therefore, I wanted to let you all know that I will be returning to the States for three weeks next week because I need to meet with my Committee on Preparation for Ministry (CPM) and Presbytery for ordination bo-jazz.  I have to be approved as a "Candidate" and be a Candidate for one year before I can circulate my pastor resume.  Since I'm graduating from seminary exactly a year from now it is important that I become a Candidate soon.  If I don't come home now I would have to wait until the end of September to seek approval as a Candidate.  Then I would have to wait until September 2010 before I could circulate my pastor resume.  So, I would sit around next summer and wait for permission from my Presbytery to circulate my resume for a Call.  After talking with mentors and some prayer, I feel that coming home for less than a month is a better option than having to wait for three months next summer.  I tried to become a Candidate before I left for Kenya, but encountered some problems.  So, there's that.  I hope that this explanation will be read so I don't have to repeat it too many times.

            I've gone through a really interesting thought process since deciding to come home.  I still wish I wasn't coming home until my time of service was up.  This led to the fantastic idea of locking myself in a room at my parents' house and only coming out for the two meetings I need to go to then flying back to Kenya.  I still entertain this idea daily.  However, I have decided since I need to go home that I should take advantage of it and make the most out of it.  I regrettably will not be able to see everyone I want to see, but I still want you to know where I am and why.  I will be able to call people and that call won't be dropped after one minute which is what happens when I call the States from Kenya usually.

            I've been away from the States for nine months and am not quite sure what to expect upon return.  Therefore, I'm a bit terrified. I am working on realizing that the world will not stop once I return.  I've become accustomed to being the center of attention so that when I walk by, everyone stops and stares.  It will be unusual realizing I'm part of the majority.  I've already promised a few friends that when I do have a cultural freakout I will turn my camera on and put it on this blog, so you have something to look forward to.  Besides seeing family and friends, I am most looking forward to eating mom's cooking and going out to missed restaurants.  I've been craving a personal pan pepperoni pizza with no sauce from Pizza Hut since I came to Kenya.  Every time that I would think of it, I would have this deep craving in my gut.  It wasn't hunger, it was different.  Well, the day I knew I was coming home (a month ago) this feeling started subsiding.  Humorously, food has caused my biggest case of desiring what I can't have and then not as intensely desiring what I can have.  Funny that human nature... and frustrating.

Back to Kenya

         Since returning from Mount Kenya, I've been busy starting back up at schools from their month off in April.  It is really good to see all of the students again.  I've missed them.  The unusual part for them and for me is that I've been bringing and introducing two Foxies to the class and then telling them that I have to go home for a bit.  I ask if there are any questions and each class has asked, "Are you coming back?" and "when exactly are you coming back?"  This has been a good affirmation which has made me feel warm and fuzzy inside and excited about returning to Kenya in June.

         One of the main reasons that I wanted to spend a year in another culture was to develop deeper relationships with people from another culture.  I would say to people before I came, "I don't like just flying in and flying out of a place without getting to know the people.  I want to have deep relationships with these people where we laugh, fight, and experience the whole breadth of relationships."  I have definitely received what I asked for in the past nine months.  Not surprisingly, when the fights come I don't like them, but the laughs have far outnumbered the fights.  Bwana Asifiwe! (Praise the Lord!)

Have a good day!

RTQ

Posted by RTQ at 5:20 PM  
Bookmark and Share
blog comments powered by Disqus