Week 20: Inauguration and Week 20

2.13.2009

I slept most of the day after getting home from Israel/Palestine at 6 AM.  I remember waking up and hearing the 8 AM devotion which happens right on the other side of my plywood bedroom wall.  But I didn't wake up again until around 3 PM.  I was then off to a worship service to pray for Obama as he was being sworn in an a few hours and then to the Inauguration watch party.

I was feeling well rested when I arrived at St. Andrews for the worship service in honor of the historic election of Obama for Kenya/Africa/Everyone.  Before the service began, we were invited outside for some Kenyan snacks.  I decided I wanted a Fanta so I went up to the man who usually sells pop at church and said "how much?" to which he replied, "No pay, it's Obama day!"  I then tried to convince him that each Tuesday for the next year was technically Obama day, but I don't think he bought it.

The service was really nice.  It was interesting because the Associated Press and other press folk were there.  So, when we prayed all you could hear around us were cameras flashing.  The service included singing, a poetry reading, and a few sermonettes.  At the end of the service the choir started singing, "He's got the whole world in His hands."  They were referring to God as they sang, but I couldn't help but think that the "he" could easily refer to Obama.  Being the President of the most powerful country in the world means that your decisions and leadership have an enormous impact on every country in the world, not just the US.

Then we were off to a hotel in downtown Nairobi to watch the Inauguration ceremony.  The dinner was very nice.  I wanted to sit there for a week and just eat. 

Dinner at Inauguration watch party:
IMG_2780


Every person I had met from the States in Kenya in the past 5 months was there.  There were also a lot of Kenyans and other nationalities there as well.  Wangari Maathai was the most famous person there.  She was the first women in Africa to receive a Nobel Peace Prize for “her contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace.”  She was also the first women in Eastern Africa to receive her Ph.D. and is all in all a very impressive women.  During my class sessions, when I am talking about how my students can be whatever they want to be, I use Wangari Maathai as an example, especially for young Kenyan females to know that they can be whatever they want to be.  So, it was cool to meet her.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Inauguration and the unique experience I had of going through the Presidential elections in another country and culture.  I definitely have a different view of politics in the States and how our entire process works. 

Me and Wangari Maathai:
IMG_2784

After the Tuesday inauguration party, I spent the rest of the week getting back into the groove of Kenya.  It is much different living on the AEE compound by myself without Cosmos.  It has its advantages and disadvantages.  I learned that the Foxfire program was up in the air because of lack of funding, but we are now working on ways to work that out.

It was good to be back in Kenya.  It is my home.

Posted by RTQ at 11:39 PM  
Bookmark and Share
blog comments powered by Disqus