OklaHOMEa

8.18.2008

I was blessed this past week by the timing of my required psychological evaluation for ordination because it took me home for my brother's 20th birthday and for one last hoo-raw in OklaHOMEa before I leave for Kenya. It was also frustrating because it was a quick trip so I didn't get to say goodbye to everyone I wanted, but I got to spend time with my family and a few Broken Arrow friends.

Throughout college and in seminary, I have come to realization that I am an oddity (and not in the way you're thinking) because my family has lived in the same house for 25 years. Since I am 24, that house is the only home I've ever known as...home. Therefore, when I say I'm going home it has a different meaning for me than most people. I am going to the house where I can explain every patched hole in the wall with a rousing story, locate every light switch blindfolded, and yell a family members name and get a response. Not to mention, the parentals pay for everything! Therefore, I love home!

Any who, I got to surprise my little brother for his birthday and go out with the family to Olive Garder, (or as Patrick calls it "the OG") his favorite restaurant. The next day my two best friends from Broken Arrow came over, Brad and Josh (and Josh's wife, Laura), and we took over the world by means of a 1999 computer game. Then Gina, Brad's wife, joined us and we all went out to dinner. It is amazing that at 24 the three of us are still able to get together every now and again. I don't think we realize how amazingly blessed we are by each other.


Sunday, I was liturgist and was asked to tell the congregation what I was doing/attempting to do currently...it took a while...and reminded me that I have a lot to do. Then that night my family was invited over to the Carter's house for a very relaxing, delicious dinner of catching up and conversation with Richard, Mary, Brian, Cynthia, Austen, Taylor, Mike, Alice, and my family. I was reminded of how I love my home church and home people.

Monday, Brad and I beat Super Mario Brothers 3 in an hour and a half. It used to take us four days to do that when we were in the third grade. Therefore, we felt amazing. It was also Brad and Gina's 2-year anniversary so I assisted in distracting Brad from preparing the dinner he was making for her.

Tuesday, I was evaluated psychologically for 5 hours.

Then I went over to Josh's new house and later his parents took us out to the best BBQ in Broken Arrow, Wild Bills. Amazing people and BBQ, my favorite combo plate. Then I went over to visit Crystal, another best friend from high school, who I hadn't seen or talked to in a long time. It was great to catch up with her and see her new house. Apparently, we're getting old...and houses.

Each night my family would get into our new spa for 20 minutes and talk. Quite ingenious, one cannot take electronics like TVs/PCs into water...yet. Therefore, we had to sit down as a family and talk. Excuse #37 to buy a spa. The next morning my family drove me to the airport at 6 AM and my trip home was over. Time is getting quicker...it must be working out.
RTQ

Posted by RTQ at 2:06 AM  
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Yeaa! I'm glad you're blogging, Roberto! Love you!
-Grober

Grober said...
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 8:41:00 PM GMT+3  

Best of luck in Kenya! We will all be waiting to here about it come Christmas of 2009!

-Amy

Anonymous said...
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 6:28:00 AM GMT+3  

hear* (oops!)

-Amy Huninghake

Anonymous said...
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 6:30:00 AM GMT+3  

Hey Robert! Amy sent me this link. I enjoyed reading your updates. We think of you often and hope Kenya is as great for you as you will be for Kenya!

Aunt Steph

Anonymous said...
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 4:54:00 PM GMT+3  

Grober, I like you.

Amy, I really look forward to seeing you all for CHRISTmas 2009. It stinks that I haven't been up there this summer.

Steph, you are on my e-mail list that I was waiting to send out until Monday about my adventures, but I think your address might have changed. Amy fb me and let me know.

RTQ

RTQ said...
Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 5:05:00 AM GMT+3  

So what were the first 36 excuses to buy a spa?

(sorry, I can't start out too strong with the comments, because I'm probably going to run out of things to say pretty soon)

Wendy

Anonymous said...
Friday, November 14, 2008 at 7:59:00 AM GMT+3  

Post a Comment